Make a complaint about us
Parliamentarians, the community (including Audit Office suppliers and stakeholders) and staff within the public sector are encouraged to report:
- dissatisfaction and complaints about our staff, products and services
- suspected or actual cases of fraud, misconduct or unethical behaviour by Audit Office staff.
We prefer to receive complaints in writing. Please use the online complaints form below to submit a complaint about the Audit Office. If your concern relates to one of the organisations we audit, please go to our Feedback on an entity we audit page for further information.
Complaints can also be made by contacting us directly:
- Phone us on 61 2 9275 7100
- Email us on firstname.lastname@example.org
- Post us at Audit Office of New South Wales, Enquiries, GPO Box 12, Sydney NSW 2001
To help us respond to a complaint, the following information is useful:
- your name, contact details and preferred method of contact
- your job title and organisation (if applicable)
- the nature of the complaint and when it occurred
- details of any prior discussion with Audit Office employees in relation to the complaint (if applicable)
- copies of any documentation to support the complaint
- whether the complaint has been referred to any other agency or details of any other action taken
- the remedy or resolution sought
- details of any Audit Office employees involved.
The Audit Office will accept and assess anonymous complaints. However, anonymity may limit the Audit Office’s ability to seek further information to assess the complaint adequately. It will also limit our ability to inform the complainant of the outcome of our assessment and, where appropriate, the outcome of any detailed investigation.
What we will do
We will acknowledge complaints within one week unless we are able to respond to your complaint within that time. Simple complaints will be responded to within two weeks and complex complaints within four weeks.
If we consider we cannot respond within four weeks, we will let you know in our acknowledgement and will provide an estimated date for our response. In addition, we will provide you with a monthly progress update.
The Audit Office’s management of complaints is guided by our Complaints Management Policy.
Confidentiality and privacy
All complaints will be dealt with confidentially and personal information will be managed in accordance with the Information Protection Principles in the Privacy and Personal Information Protection Act 1998. For further information refer to the Audit Office's Privacy Management Plan.
When you provide us your personal information by email or through this website:
- we will record your email address and other information submitted
- we will use the information for the purpose for which you provide it
- your email address will not be added to a mailing list, unless provided by you specifically for that purpose.
Please refer to our privacy management plan for more information.